- More than twenty years of technology management experience; fourteen at a Hagerstown
- Most recent experience includes creation and implementation of a long-range technology
plan to revise and replace all campus computing resources for Hagerstown Junior College.
- Responsibility for all aspects of campus computing both administrative and academic.
During my tenure, the college moved from a backward, uninspired, detached computing
posture to a position of near leading edge technology. The college now uses state-of-the-art
technology and is very well connected locally and worldwide. Students and instructional
staff enjoy computer tools at least equal to the administration.
- Personnally designed, installed and administered campus network for ten years
and supervised the recent replacement.
- Extensive experience in operations, budget, equipment specification and selection,
equipment and software acquisition, and personnel selection.
- Past experiences includes ten (10) years design, analysis, and programming experience
for commercial, financial, and retail oriented systems.
- Previous programming experience with various main-frame and mini-computers in
assembler, macro-assembler, and COBOL. Background includes extensive experience
in Inventory Control and Retail POS/On-Line Credit systems design, creation, and
- Operating within a customer support role, had responsibility for custom design,
training, maintenance, and support of application and operating system software.
- Sixteen years experience with a variety of microcomputers in both a personal
and professional role.
- Extensive installation, training, and trouble shooting work with various manufacturers'
microcomputer equipment and software in freestanding and networked environments.
- Director of Information and Communications Systems and Director of Network Operations
and Development at Hagerstown Junior College, April 1984 to March 1998. Responsible
for complete operation and future planning for the college computing, networking,
and communications resources. This included full charge of the college mainframe
system, numerous UNIX and Novell servers, hundreds of microcomputers in laboratories
and offices and Internet connection and resources. Responsibilities included
overseeing both administrative and instructional use of all campus computer, network,
and communications resources and the advising of any and all current and potential
computer users in selection and installation of proper hardware and software. This
position reports to the Comptroller.
- Insurance Agent for J. Edward Cochran & Co., an independent insurance agency,
October 1981 to April 1984. Licensed in Property and Casualty, Life, Accident,
and Health lines. Serving with a full line agency, had direct sales responsibility
for accounts ranging from in-dividual through larger commercial accounts. Had
personal involvement in accounts from prospecting, surveying, rating, and underwrit-ing
through policy delivery and occasionally collection.
- Zone Systems Engineering Manager. NCR Corporation, Retail Systems Division,
Washington, DC, June 1978 to October, 1981. Supervising a staff of seven other
customer and sales support Systems Engineers, assumed full respon-sibility for all
phases of Systems Engineering functions of pre-sale, programming, de-bug, installation,
training, and support for a large customer base. Geo-graphic support area covered
all or parts of four states plus the District of Columbia, with installations of
larger users nation-wide. Operated on P&L basis under an MBO plan.
- Acting Systems Support Manager. NCR Corporation, Retail Systems Division,
Washington, DC, September 1977 to June 1978. Assumed ultimate respon-sibility
for systems work, programming and software installation for a staff of five customer
support analysts. This department performed many tasks, including, customer
training, systems design, and configuration, documenta-tion, software implementation
and debugging. Equipment ranged from freestanding ECR terminals to POS networks
to large mainframe systems.
- Systems Analyst. NCR Corporation, Retail Systems Division, Washington,
DC; Level III - May, 1977 to September, 1977; Level II - September, 1974 to May,
1977. Performed duties as defined above for staff. Personally designed
and created a custom transaction-driven, integrated Inventory Control System for
Marriott Corporation's Theme Park properties.
- Analyst/EDP Manager. Blaine Window Hardware, Inc., Hagerstown, Maryland,
March 1973 to September 1974. Had total responsibility for hardware installation
and software installation. Personally modified, debugged, and installed a pre-release
version of an order-entry, billing, and inven-tory control system.
- Programmer/Analyst. NCR Corporation Data Center, Baltimore, Maryland,
September 1971 to March 1973. Designed, coded, compiled, tested, and installed
new programs and modifications to fulfill customer requests and support the NCR On-Line
Financial System. This site utilized NCR mainframe processors. The languages
used were assembler and absolute machine language.
- Teacher. Baltimore County Board of education, General Stricker Junior High
School, Dundalk, Maryland, September 1970 June 1971. Taught seventh grade mathematics.